Saturday 29 March 2008

African Eating in Berlin

Add to Technorati Favorites

I finally got to do something I've wanted to do ever since arriving in Berlin six years ago - visit the Eritrean and Sudanese restaurant, Massai, here in Prenzlauer Berg.

The timing couldn't have been more appropriate as I've just finished reading What is the What? the autobiographical novel of the life of Valentino Achak Deng by Dave Eggers. I guess, like most people, I had a vague awreness of events in southern Sudan and the plight of the refugees who fled the violence there and ended up in Ethiopia and Kenya, but reading such a personal story really challenged me and angered me, as well as inspiring and encouraging me.

Anyway, the restaurant has a great website which you can check out here.

The atmosphere is very relaxed and friendly, and the menu covers everything from lentil dishes, Eritrean bean and curry dishes (great for a veggie like me) to crocodile and springbock. Fortunately no-one I saw was ordering anything like that!

I had no expectations before arriving and have to say that it's been a long time since a restaurant impressed me so much. The drinks selection includes fruity and palm beers imported from Sudan, the desserts include coconut ice cream served in halved coconut shells (shaved to avoid any furry coconut mishaps) and the staff are (for Berlin) extremely welcoming and friendly.

You can easily eat for 15-20 Euro per person and it's worth every cent.

If you want to check out Valentino Achak Deng's foundation website, click here.

No comments: